Nov 10, 2009

* Have You Fed Your Mind and Soul Today?

Most of us eat to feed our stomachs at least 2-3 times day. It has become a habit and something we do to satisfy our body’s hunger.

However, have you considered how often you feed your mind and your soul? If you want to grow in terms of your emotional strength and mental strength and abilities, then you have to constantly feed your mind and soul as often as you feed your body. If not, the only growth you will achieve is in growing fat.

Feeding Your Mind

One of the things that has really helped me to become successful is that since I was aged 13, I got into the habit of constantly feeding my mind everyday. I would constantly read books on success, money, sales, marketing, leadership, NLP etc.. I would also read lots of biographies. My favourite ones are on Lee Kwan Yew, Richard Branson, Steve Jobs and Donald Trump. I always felt that by reading Lee Kwan Yew’s biography (from third world to first: the Singapore Story), it was like I downloaded 80 years of his knowledge, experience, wisdom and past decisions to my brain.

So, although I am only 35 years old now, I am able to make great decisions because I feel like I have got a few hundred years of experience in my brain (Lee Kwan Yew 80 years + Steve Jobs 50 years + Donald Trump 40 years + etc…). How did I find the time to read so much? My habit has always been to carry a book in my bag at all times. So, every time I am waiting for someone, taking the bus (when I was a student), in the toilet etc… I would grab the book and start reading. Doing this, I would be able to finish at least 1-2 books a week. Today, I read alot when I am on the plane, waiting at the airport and when I am driving (I listen to audio books).

Be careful also about what you feed into your mind. When you keep eating junk food, it will spoil your health and making you slow and lethargic. At the same time, you have to ask yourself what you are feeding your mind everyday. What magazines do you read? Which websites do you visit? What shows do you watch? What are the last 5 books you have read.

When people tell me that they want to become rich, I am shocked to learn that they never read information that will feed their mind in the right way. They don’t read magazines like Forbes, The Edge, The Economist. They don’t watch programmes like CNBC, CNN Money. They don’t got to websites like cnbc.com, moneycentral.com or cnn.com/money. They don’t read books on investing, financial planning, property etc… They don’t read the money pages on the newspapers. Instead they feed their minds with FHM, Sports Pages, Lifestyle etc… Nothing wrong with all theses things, It’s just that it will not feed your mind to become rich, just entertained.

Feed Your Soul

In order to constantly feel inspired, re-charged, fulfilled and motivated, we also have to constantly feed and nourish our soul. Different people feed their souls in different ways. Some people pray, others meditate, others write journals and some go on nature walks. I read inspirational books, play with my children and spend time with my wife and family.

If you constantly feel stressed, drained or unfulfilled, you probably have not allocated the time to nourish your soul and spirit daily. So, feed your mind and soul today to create the mental and emotional strength you need.

By Adam Khoo In Personal Success !

No comments:

Post a Comment